Petitions, PQs, Motions & Official Record
Here we have listed, in reverse chronological order, Scottish Parliamentary business concerning elective home education, including Petitions, Questions & Written Answers, Motions, and links to the Official Record.
Scottish Parliament Petitions
Date Lodged: 13 June 2018
Calling on the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Government to initiate an independent public inquiry into the impact on human rights of the routine gathering and sharing of citizens’ personal information on which its Getting It Right For Every Child (GIRFEC) policy relies.
A joint petition, submitted by the Scottish Home Education Forums and Tymes Trust (following their Families from the Fringe ‘alternative’ evidence gathering and consultation event on the Scottish Government’s information-sharing bill, now withdrawn) has been referred to the Education & Skills Committee for consideration. Read the latest news on the petition here.
Date Lodged: 20 August 2019
Calling on the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Government to conduct an urgent review to identify children who are not registered with an Education Authority in Scotland and are being denied a basic human right to access an education suitable to age, ability and aptitude.
We oppose this petition. Read our critique and submission to the committee here.
Scottish Parliamentary Questions
- Parliamentary Question on access to SQA exams and qualifications for home educated young people (July 2017)
- Parliamentary Questions on home education by Robin Harper MSP (September 2010)
- Parliamentary Questions on home education ‘inspection’ by Margaret Smith MSP (August 2010)
- Parliamentary Questions on home education by Duncan McNeil MSP (March 2010)
- Parliamentary Question on home education ‘inspection’ (March 2007)
- Parliamentary Questions on home education draft guidance (February 2002)
Scottish Parliamentary Motions
- Parliamentary Motion on home education lodged by Robin Harper MSP (December 2005)
- Parliamentary Motion by Irene McGugan MSP: Draft Guidance for Home Education (January 2002)
- Standards in Scotland’s Schools Bill Stage 3 amendment: statutory guidance on home education (June 2000)
- Standards in Scotland’s Schools Bill Stage 2 amendment: home education consent anomaly (May 2000)
Proposed Member’s Bill